BE THE BUS’S EYES AND EARS
The Mid Mon Valley Transit Authority (MMVTA) launched Transit Watch, a public awareness and education campaign patterned after the successful Neighborhood Watch program. While MMVTA is already one of the safest transit agencies in the nation, the Transit Watch campaign encourages everyone to help keep MMVTA safe by being aware of their surroundings and alert to activities, packages or situations that seem suspicious.
If something out of the ordinary is observed, it should be reported immediately to the bus operator, MMVTA directly at 724-489-0880 (724-379-5956 after hours MV Transportation) and/or law enforcement authorities.
The Transit Watch message is simple but effective: we all have a responsibility to look out for the safety and security of our fellow citizens and ourselves. If we make a commitment to get involved and watch out for each other, everyone will benefit!
BE INFORMED AND HAVE A PLAN FOR ACTION WHEN RIDING PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION:
- Familiarize yourself with bus stops and onboard the buses
- Know the location of emergency exits on the bus
- Inform bus operator of any suspicious packages, substances or activities
- In an emergency situation remain calm and listen for announcements
- Do not prevent bus doors from closing
- Follow instructions given by MMVTA employees. Proceed in an orderly fashion
BE ON THE ALERT FOR SUSPICIOUS OBJECTS OR SUBSTANCES. IF YOU SPOT AN UNATTENDED PACKAGE OR OBJECT, LOOK FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- Placement in an out-of-the-way location
- Individuals in the act of abandoning the object, package or substance and quickly leaving the area
- Objects with unusual items attached such as batteries, wires, tanks, bottles or bags
- An attached message or note
- A suspicious cloud, mist, gas, vapor, odor or seeping fluid
- Nearby individuals showing signs of illness or distress
WHAT TO DO:
- Do not confront suspicious individuals or touch suspicious objects, packages or substances
- Call 911 immediately or contact a MMVTA employee
- Do not use a cellular phone until you are a safe distance away (approximately 300 feet)
- If possible, use a landline phone to report a suspicious object, package or substance
PERSONAL PREPAREDNESS TIPS:
- Create an advanced plan for maintaining contact with family members if separated as a result of an emergency
- Create an advanced plan for maintaining contact with close friends and colleagues during an extended emergency period
- Keep a record of all contact and emergency information and update it regularly as needed
- Select a location outside your home as a family meeting point should your home need to be evacuated
- Identify alternate routes and means of reaching your meeting point in the event your main route is impassible
- Keep a local map handy for reference
- Make sure your emergency information and contact numbers are with you at all times
BE INFORMED. BE INVOLVED. BE ALERT. BE PREPARED.